Car accidents are common in Las Vegas. Every year, over a hundred people are involved in one. Some of them survive; some do not. According to statistics, the major causes of these accidents are:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
Driving safely, on your part, may not insulate you from being affected. For example, rear-end accidents, which happen often, involve a speeding car bumping into your bumper. Depending on the impact, it could be fatal. Also, a car ahead of you can make a sudden, unsafe turn, and you crash into it. In the aftermath of the impact, a back-and-forth argument could ensue, each driver faulting the other. Because of this, there are state laws to protect you and punish the at-fault driver. The driver guilty of negligence (or his insurance company) is the one who covers the bills. But how do you convince the court that you’re not at fault, that it is the other person who should bear the costs incurred? For this, you need a car accident lawyer Las Vegas.
How to Protect Yourself
In Las Vegas, despite not having control over what other drivers are doing, you can protect yourself by being prepared ahead of an accident. If the negligence of another driver puts you in a vehicular crash, here are some tips you should know to keep yourself protected:
- Exit your car only if it is safe to do so.
- Place reflexive triangles around, or turn on your hazard lights to warn others.
- Record videos or take pictures of the vicinity immediately.
- Jot down any information that would be relevant to your claim.
- Check for body injuries and car damages and note them down.
- Get the contact information and accounts of witnesses around.
- Call the police.
- Do not make any official reports or sign any papers without consulting an attorney.
- Do not say anything that would contradict you and make you appear at fault when you’re not.
- Go to a hospital and confirm all injuries sustained, both internal and external.
- Most importantly, lawyer up.
Doing these would give you some foundation on which to stand. When your accident lawyer arrives, they will take it from there and begin to build and file your claim. Also, because they know more about the law, they will protect your rights and ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
With the help of an accident attorney, the cases can be solved out of court. The insurance company of the at-fault driver will cover the medical bills, lost wages, and car damages of the plaintiff. Should they refuse, a court case will follow. And if they lose, they will pay an amount in fine larger than what the filed claim demanded. So, most insurance companies, when faced with a lawyer who knows their onions, usually agree to an out-of-court settlement.
It’s always best to leave these things for experienced attorneys to handle. So don’t hesitate to contact one if you, or your loved one, was caught in an accident caused by the negligence of another driver.